Reporting to the Systems Engineering Manager, this role entails supporting the technical direction for the overall project and supporting technical interfacing to both internal and external customers. The Systems Engineering department largely focuses on the overall integration and interfacing across our multi-disciplinary engineering groups including I&C, Software and Mechanical Engineering. The Systems Engineering group focuses on System Level design for various Fuel Handling sub-systems, tooling, medical isotope systems and remote delivery machines. This includes, but is not limited to, requirements management / traceability, process and component level failure modes and effects analysis, testing and commissioning planning and execution, SAT based training, as well as full understanding of the customer engineering change control (ECC) processes.
- Define and manage system-level design requirements with the use of formal management tools.
- Define and manage interfaces and scope between discipline specific design areas (mechanical, I&C and software).
- Prepare system-level design documentation.
- Construct process level and/or component level design Failure Modes & Effects Analysis (FMEA) in conjunction with the design team.
- Supporting project level testing and commissioning.
- Support project level deliverables including but not limited to evaluations, reports, and assessments.
- Key success factors are engineering and product excellence, effective design activity management, task/milestone completion on-time/on-budget, producing defect free designs, meeting your metrics, motivating a diverse team, managing and achieving results through influencing and setting of expectations/actions.
- Leading by example, assure compliance and adherence to processes (including internal Business Management System), industry codes and standards, quality systems, policies, and contractual requirements.
- Support process change through process enhancement, and technology introduction to achieve world-class product development and product deployment.
- Support customer relationships and ensure market alignment. This position requires interaction with external customers, subcontractors, and cross functional internal teams.
- May support proposal development and review including scope review, estimating as well as technical presentations to the customer.
- Helps to identify project risks, analyze solutions, and take decisive action to resolve issues and communicate these to the leadership team.
- Provide assurance of health and safety associated with the execution of all projects and activities.
- Short term travel may be required for the purpose of meeting with clients and stakeholders.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE:
- B.A.Sc. in Engineering.
- Holds or working towards a current PEO license.
- Strong experience in design engineering in Nuclear, Aerospace, Transportation, or other highly regulated and process based design.
- Demonstrated ability with supporting leadership on engineering projects over their complete EPC life cycles with little support.
- Exposure with a range of interdisciplinary activities; systems design, requirements development, interface design and testing.
- Exposure to a broad range of interdisciplinary departments: mechanical, I&C, software design and manufacturing.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, understandable by a diverse audience.
- Creative problem-solving skills, outstanding analytical abilities, developing leadership skills and the ability to work in a team.
- Flexibility to work remotely on short-term customer site assignment.
- Most importantly…. creative and innovative thinkers!
- Experience with IBM DOORS.
- Experience in the CANDU Nuclear Industry.
- Familiarity with CSA Nuclear Codes and Standards.
- Familiarity with ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Codes and Standards.