RAM Technical Specialist
As a Technical Specialist, he/she will provide direction and advice on technical issues with respect to assigned R&D and projects making sure that the designed system meets contractual RAM and HW Safety requirements. He/she will be responsible in performing all RAM and HW Safety activities for R&D and projects. He/she will also be working collaboratively with all design teams including HW Engineering and Software Engineering making sure that RAM and HW Safety are built-in to the design thereby ensuring compliance to all contractual RAM and HW Safety requirements and a successful demonstration of reliability, availability and maintainability can be achieved.
The Technical Specialist will be an open-minded and evidence-oriented individual, who will work closely with the design team in systems, hardware, software, and cybersecurity departments to provide recommendations of RAM and HW Safe improvement to the design and to ensure delivery of products in good quality, on time and within budget. The Technical Specialist will be part of a team that is responsible for the timely and effective execution of the combined task and activities of RAM management and RAM engineering to achieve the system RAM requirements throughout the system/project life cycle.
- Analyzes and evaluates hardware designs to verify compliance with contractual Reliability, Availability and Maintainability (RAM) and Hardware (HW) Safety requirements.
- Propose system RAM and HW Safety engineering design solutions to RAM and HW Safety Engineering objectives u TCTS product.
- Evaluates and identifies RAM & HW Safety problems and suggests design alternatives (i.e., redundancy, reliable components, preventive & corrective maintenance, diagnostic capabilities, etc.) where appropriate to enhance the RAM & HW Safety of the subsystem or system.
- Prepares RAM Program Plan that defines the RAM objectives and tasks to be performed, and deliverables to be produced at various phases of the project. Performs RAM apportionments to ensure hardware is being designed to meet contractual requirements.
- Performs RAM predictions and calculations to verify compliance to customer requirements and to recommend RA improvement strategy, if necessary.
- Also performs Testability Analysis (a subset of Maintainability Analysis).
- Performs Spare Analysis and identify recommended spare parts list to support the system maintenance during warranty period.
- Provides RAM calculated data to support Life Cycle Cost (LCC) analysis that will predict the total cost of utilizing th CBTC (Communications Based Train Control) system through its entire life span.
- Performs MTBF calculations based on field returns to support Quality Assurance (Failure Reporting, Analysis and Corrective Action System (FRACAS) process) and participates in FRB meetings.
- Evaluates the RAM & HW Safety of designs and design changes for hardware by reviewing technical specifications design & Engineering Change Control documentation.
- Provides evaluations & recommendations with respect to RAM & HW Safety in formal design reviews and by raisin Change Requests (CRs) against any RAM & HW Safety issues.
- Assist in the RAM & HW Safety effort during the business development, bids & proposals and project launch stage ensure the scope of RAM work is well understood, planned for, and that the cost estimates are practicable. This includes clear acknowledgement and understanding of all applicable standards.
- Provide technical support, leadership and mentoring for RAMS Engineering staff, including review and approval of RAMS staff competency logbooks for the relevant Product and/or Project area.
- Review of all RAM & HW Safety Change Requests (CRs) related to their product and/or projects to ensure consiste and thorough assessment and analysis by Project RAM Specialists, and to ensure RAM issues with broader implications are cloned and managed correctly
- Represent RAM & HW Safety in technical meetings involving RAM & HW Safety-related issues. Participate in, influe and approve design decisions impacting or potentially impacting RAM & HW Safety.
- Attend the bi-monthly System Technical Review for their respective Product and/or Project areas.
- Support the development of Compliance Matrixes for US Military standards, CENELEC or IEC Standards (and other relevant standards) on their respective Product and/or Projects.
- Identify with adequate anticipation RAM & HW Safety-related risks and opportunities and propose mitigation actio Prepares technical proposals, reports, presentations, change evaluations & responses to customer questions base on knowledge of train protection & operational needs, products, job requirements & industry standards.
- Provides technical Bids and Proposals support as assigned.
- Works with customers, ISA's and design teams to develop solutions to RAMS Engineering problems.
- Prepares system & subsystem RAM & HW Safety requirement specifications, interface requirements and test requirements by analyzing and decomposing customer RAM & HW Safety requirements.
- Perform technical trade off evaluations to identify the system RAM & HW Safety engineering design choices with associated advantages and disadvantages.
- Proposes Work Package estimates and descriptions based on knowledge of the work and project requirements. T work is estimated based on an assessment of what is needed to meet customer requirements.
- Defines processes and standards covering the work and its products based on knowledge of RAM & HW Safety engineering and/or his technical specialty.
- Define RAM requirements by evaluating & defining railway operational hazards that could be caused by the CBTC system.
- Verifies the RAM and HW Safety of TCTS products and the subsystem/system by performing FTA, FMECA and RAM Analyses including Testability Analysis.
- Mentors/assists other RAM Specialists/Engineers and consultants by defining their work, coaching them on how a what to prepare, monitoring their progress, and directing them on priorities
- Provides technical support in addressing RAM& HW Safety-related issues and participates in the CCRB meeting, as required.
- Reporting directly to the RAMS Engineering Manager and Chief Safety Architects (CSA), having direction from the R Lead or Project Safety Manager (PSM) and work closely with the RAM and Safety teams; and from other functiona teams to meet the project objectives.
- Keeps abreast of new technology developments by continuously upgrading his/her technical specialist skills to rem competent as a Technical Specialist
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Must have an extensive experience in Electronic components and circuits analyses.
- Extensive knowledge of system requirements definition/design, RAM principles and methodologies.
- More than15 years of experience in system requirements definition/design, system architecture for complex syste application of RAM and HW Safety concepts & analyses techniques.
- Extensive knowledge of RAM methods and techniques: FMECA, Reliability Modeling and Prediction, RAM & Testab Analyses.
- Experience with RAMS-related standards EN50126, EN50128, EN50129, IEC61123, IEC61124, IEC60812, and IEC622 MIL-HDBK-217/472/338B/781A, MIL-STD-1629A, IEEE 1474.1, and AREMA.
- Good command of the English language, both written and oral. Computer skills, MS Office; DOORS; ClearQuest, SAP.