View all jobs
Intermediate Mechanical DesignerWoodbridge, ON
- Prepare Designs based on concepts prepared by Senior Designer or the Design Manager.
- Prepare and present Design Reviews both internal and customer.
- Check the work of other designers.
- Prepare detail designs for shop.
- Support the build of the tester in the shop as required.
- Mentor less experienced designers.
- Manage project documentation, including quotes, cost sheets, correspondence, requisitions, drawings, schedules, etc. on projects you are leading.
- Design and detail parts and assemblies related to test and assembly automation equipment.
- Communicate time estimates and resource requirements on design tasks to the Manager of Mechanical Design and/or the Lead Designer and Project Managers.
- Review electrical requirements with electrical designers.
- Ensure that the flow of information (IO, Timing Charts, etc.) to the Controls Department is completed as required.
- Attend and present design reviews.
- Perform engineering calculations with respect to strength of materials, speeds, horsepower, temperature, pressure, force, etc. as related to machine and tool designs.
- Analyze engineering drawings, and specifications to determine shape, dimensions, hardness etc. in the development of equipment, processes, and products.
- Draft working drawings, detail drawings and bills of materials for equipment, sub-assemblies or product, using AutoCAD or Solidworks.
- Determine tools, fixtures, and equipment to be used in fabrication and assembly of components and complete assemblies.
- Aid during the manufacture of parts, bench and floor assembly, debug and integration.
- Formalize and update drawing documentation.
- Check drawings for accuracy, material selection, proper machining techniques, finishes, hardness, etc.
- Liaison with customers and in-house technical and engineering staff.
- Liaison with vendors for technical information and specifications.
- Create drawings of existing tooling using precision measuring devices such as verniers and micrometers.
- Adhere to the ISO Operating Procedures for the Mechanical Design and Fabrication departments.
- Ensure that all business activities are performed with the highest ethical standards and in compliance with the code of business conduct.
- Must understand the 5S principles and their importance.
- Maintain project schedule, making use of earned value system to track progress.
- Adhere to all health and safety rules and procedures.
- Post-Secondary Diploma or Degree in mechanical design, mechanical engineering or equivalent.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in custom automation and testing.
- Strong working knowledge with SolidWorks 2018 (or higher) and AutoCAD.
- Machined and sheet metal design experience.
- Experience with engineering change orders (ECOs) and creating engineering documents.
- Strong knowledge of problem-solving techniques and facilitation skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.